This week, wedding planner and author Kate White spills her global secrets, from pristine linen bed sheets to noshing down in Bali. We do!
1. I love to eat at Sean’s Panorama, Bondi Beach: my absolute favourite, the food is always the season’s best and cooked to perfection. The room is cosy in winter and by the sea in the summer … quaint, with the smell of the old fashioned roses, best nougat ever eaten anywhere, the bread, can never refrain—I could keep going…
FFF note: we adore Sean’s Panaroma too, and his Let It Simmer cookbook is a firm fave. Revisit our version of Sean’s Good Chook, roasted with Oregano and served with Creamed Corn here.
2. The Grounds of Alexandria, an industrial space with a sublime garden and veggie patch. It even has chooks!!! Great coffee and great vibe … fairly new, so go early to eat.
3. I live in and love sarongs. I buy them in Bali from a shop called Biasa. They are expensive for Bali standards but they are white Indian cotton, different prints and patterns and I go there every year to purchase for the next year. I wear them all year round at home, on the swimming run to the pool as i drive my daughters and in winter they are paired with grey woollen UGG boots! Very special but a favourite.
4. Sleep inspires me, as to what I like to sleep in. I love Society Sheets, linen sheets made in Italy and dyed in the softest colours. In Australia, buy them from Ondene in Double Bay. It has lovely home wears but the sheets are just so special. I love the day they are freshly laundered and placed on the bed (I go to bed early that night).
5. Sardine is a favourite restaurant in Bali in Seminyak. A great atmosphere, it looks over the rice padi and serves great fresh local fish on the menu. Delicious!
6. Limoges — the finest tea cups in the land. I start my day with very weak black English breakfast tea with a wedge of lemon. A great way to start the day, but it must be in a fine china tea cup!
7. Fratelli Fresh, I love shopping for fresh food and Italian produce at Fratelli Fresh. The quaility of the produce is fresh and it lasts well in my coolroom at home. My company now makes all their mayonnaise, aioli, stocks and sauces and I am honoured to work with such a force in our country regarding great fresh Italian food.
8. I am a wedding planner so I love the shop Helen Rodriguez in Neutral Bay. She stocks all the imported bridal wear - Jenny Packham, Vera Wang, Monique lhuillier, Oscar De La Renta, all the veils and even has her own labelled “Nancy Ganz”. She makes you feel like a princess if you are looking for a wedding dress. You must make an appointment before you even get to try these creations on.
9. Acne - I love this brand of clothing. It is quirky but classic and the quality is just premium. I recently wore one of their dresses at my wedding book launch. A long three tiered dress, I felt fabulous, a bit like a bride really … but a funky one!!!
10. Rock Bar in Bali … OMG! watch the sunset from this unique spot, sipping cocktails and eating lobster spring rolls. The bar is carved into the rock and the water glistens with the sun setting, with the waves crashing beneath. This is a special spot. Get there early, it can be very busy.